The Physio Matters Podcast
Putting big mouths and big ideas behind microphones.
The Physio Matters Podcast is a feature of Chews Health’s third core value ‘We Educate’.
Episodes will feature expert, honest advice, delivered directly to listeners at no cost.
The Physio Matters Podcast content hopes to be clinical gold delivered direct.
Musculoskeletal and Sports Medicine information for those working in physiotherapy, sports therapy, sports rehabilitation, medicine and all divisions of the healthcare industry.
Session 5 – Know Pain: Metaphoric Expression with Mike Stewart – Part 2
Session 5 features part two of an interview with Mike Stewart, a clinical specialist working in persistant pain, discussing the use of metaphoric expression within a framework of biopsychosocial clinical reasoning.
00:00 – 01:27 – Intro and dedication to Louis Gifford
01:27 – 03:37 – Understanding and explaining complex neurobiology
- Amygdala v cortex – an unfair waterfight
- Anticipation, apprehension and fear avoidance
03:37 – 16:40 – Shifting focus from pain to function
- Exploring maladaptive patient cognitions
- ‘Tricking’ the nervous system
16:40 – 24:27 – Graded exposure and adaptation
- Giving the patient the reigns
- Seeing is believing – pictures pain at thousand words
24:27 – 33:52 – Readiness for change – picking the right patients
- Selling a new model to patients
- Acknowledging and addressing psychological barriers – education and empowering patients
33:52 – 43:03 – Pain management strategies
- A contextual role for passive modalities
- Deciding when to call time
43:03 – 52:45 – Adopting a neurobiological education approach in everyday practice
- Embracing a complex challenge
- A role in sport and private practice
52:45 – 57:09 – Signposting to learning resources
57:09 – 59:23 – Acknowledgements, upcoming Know Pain courses, Outro
Twitter: @TPMPodcast @Chews_Health @knowpainmikeGo back
Our friends at Altrincham Today produce a brilliant periodical featuring local news and reviews. Last issue, our MD Jack Chew debuted the ‘Ask The Physio’ feature which proved popular!
What do you want from treatment? Do you want to just be in a little less pain than you are now? Or do you want to rehabilitate the problem