The Physio Matters Podcast
Putting big mouths and big ideas behind microphones.
The Physio Matters Podcast is a feature of Chews Health’s third core value ‘We Educate’.
Episodes will feature expert, honest advice, delivered directly to listeners at no cost.
The Physio Matters Podcast content hopes to be clinical gold delivered direct.
Musculoskeletal and Sports Medicine information for those working in physiotherapy, sports therapy, sports rehabilitation, medicine and all divisions of the healthcare industry.
Session 22 – ‘Medically Unexplained Symptoms’ with Roger Kerry
Twitter: @TPMPodcast @RogerKerry1 @Chews_Health
1:35-3:25 Intro to Roger and Medically Unexplained Symptoms
3:25-5:10 What are MUS?
– Established term
– Demonstrable lack of explanatory pathology
5:10-12:45 What challenges does this present
– EBM issues
– RCTs have limitations
12:45-15:45 Roger being misinterpreted?
– Not anti-EBM, Pro-science!
– Philosophical underpinning of RCT vs clinical practice
– Multifactorial, context specific, changeable
22:00-27:45 Biopsychosocial model
– Game shifting move forwards
– Lets not relax
– Not holistic, reduces patients down to 3 components
27:45-33:50 How do we get to holistic care?
– Difficult to say right now
– We need to change how we think about evidence
– We need to involve the patient
33:50-41:00 Categorising/stratifying care
– Subgroup n=1
– Person centred care
41:00-45:20 Is Physio well placed to draw all this together?
45:20-47:30 Reluctance to scrutinize own practice
47:30-53:00 Are MUS explained by processing faults?
– Trying to improve function
– Not reinforcing unhelpful beliefs
53:00-1:01:00 Jack’s Case study
– Not why but what and how
1:01:00-1:02:30 Patient centred doesn’t mean pandering to patients
1:02:30-1:05:05 Roger you would make a very good clinician!
1:05:05-1:08:00 Roger’s plugs
Spring is in the air, nights are getting lighter and the rain is subsiding just enough to tempt us back outside. What this usually means is that running shoes
When exercise is painful it becomes that little bit less attractive so what should you do?